Recently I’ve had an issue on my laptop with Internet Explorer (IE10) regularly stopping responding on a webpage. An error message pops up and the webpage reloads – usually only to crash once more.
The first step in diagnosing these type of issues is to look at what addons are running: The first one in my list was ‘NameCtrl Class’ and luckily enough this was the culprit. As soon as I disabled it IE was crash free.
Not content with simply disabling the item, I did some research to find out what this addon did. The NameCtrl Class is part of the Office 2013 installation and loads presence indicators onto websites allowing you to message people via Lync or view their contact card in Outlook. With further investigation I discovered that the addon is loaded via the following dll:
c:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice15name.dll.
Although I’m using 64bit Office this happens to be a 32bit component.
I found if i renamed that dll, office recreates it. Once restored I was free to reable the addin and everything works as expected. It must have been a corrupted dll!